In 1881 in a humble two-story, white frame building on House Street, Alvin Public Schools was born. From this early small town beginning to the official creation of the Alvin Independent School District by the state legislature in 1925, the district has continued to build on a foundation of excellence with a steady commitment to community and local service.
The area encompassing Alvin ISD has experienced steady growth since those early years. Initially serving small communities that were known as prairie cow towns in the teens and roaring twenties, the area transformed several times over the coming decades. From a rice and oil center in the depressed thirties to the population explosion at the turn of the century, the area encompassing Alvin ISD has steadily continued to experience growth.
Records indicate that the first high school aged students started school in Alvin Public Schools in 1894 when the 10th grade was added. The first graduating class completed Alvin High School in 1897 with five graduates. A few years later, the Great Storm of September 8, 1900 damaged the school building. Citizens donated money, and wood and material salvaged from the storm was used to rebuild the school. The 11th and 12th grades were added to the high school and the class of 1906 was the first class to graduate after a four-year term. The school remained in that facility until the oil boom of 1930 brought a great deal of money to the Alvin school’s tax base, enabling the district to build a multi-million dollar school building. By 1940, Alvin had a 22-acre school complex that included high school, intermediate, and elementary buildings. These building were located on the same site that Alvin High School is today.
Throughout the years, neighboring community schools consolidated with Alvin ISD. In 1973, voters approved the consolidation of Manvel ISD and 497 students from Manvel joined the 5,203 students already attending Alvin ISD schools.
From its earliest beginnings in a one-room schoolhouse, to becoming the largest school district in Brazoria County, Alvin ISD has continued to be a dynamic learning organization committed to excellence for each student and every program. Alvin ISD alumni continue to have a tremendous impact both locally and throughout the world. They are recognized as world-class athletes, politicians, actors, writers, musicians, community leaders, and, of course, educators.
As the community and district steadily grow, Alvin ISD continues to prepare students for success, which helps preserve the heritage of our district, community, state, and nation.
Take a look at a short of the history of Alvin ISD