Debbie Stranges8th Grade American HistorySocial Studies Instructional CoachEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to 8th grade U.S. History! This course will be challenging, exciting, fast-paced and above all else, thought provoking. I have high expectations of excellence from each of you and I know you will exceed them! I feel that history is definitely NOT a boring collection of names, dates and places, but is the ultimate story of US – of who we are and where we are going. It is the story of what humans are capable of accomplishing and demolishing. It is the stuff of legend. It is OUR STORY!
We will employ a wide variety of educational methods and technology, including, but in no way limited to, primary source analysis, project based learning, oral communication, analytic/creative thinking and even some preparation for the STAAR test.
Supplies needed for this class
- 5 subject spiral notebook – any color EXCEPT BLACK
- Pen, pencil
- A ready mind and positive attitude!
Classroom Expectations for Students:
- Respect others and yourself - be on time, no talking when teacher or classmate is speaking. Speak to one another in kind, encouraging words. Remember, please and thank you still go a long way!
- Demand greatness from yourself and others – come to class prepared to work and be a productive member of our educational community. Do your best on every assignment and task. Complete all assignments on time.
- BYOD – Bring Your Own Device – technology will be utilized in the classroom at the teacher’s academic discretion. Devices are to be used ONLY for ACADEMIC purposes and ONLY at the teacher’s behest.
- 1 warning will be given for a technology violation
- 2nd offense device will be taken by teacher and may be retrieved at end of day by student
- 3rd offense device will be turned in to Administrative office and must be retrieved by PARENT
- Any subsequent offense will result in disciplinary action and loss of technology privileges
- Technology – Every student is expected to sign in to Google Classroom and check it regularly. All notes, assignments, classroom communication will occur through Google Classroom. Google Classroom is available on all devices and may be accessed from anywhere: home, school, etc. Access to the internet and technology at home is an integral part of this class. If there are issues that prevent the use of technology at home, please contact me to make other arrangements.
- Absences – Please check Google Classroom for what you have missed – all class notes, assignments will be posted there. You may also see Mrs. Stranges immediately upon your return, BEFORE or AFTER CLASS/SCHOOL to check for missing assignments. NOT DURING CLASS TIME.
Classroom Expectation of Mrs. Stranges:
- Respect for students – I will address you with respectful and encouraging words, while still expecting your best every day
- Expect greatness – I will respect your need to have a meaningful and engaging learning environment. I will provide feedback via grades in a timely manner.
- Major grades 50% - Unit exams and projects (group and individual). Expect 1-4 per unit of study
- Daily grades (including homework): 50% - Classwork, quizzes, ISN grades, in class essays, quick writes, classroom discussions and activities, etc.
- Missed or makeup work due to absence - Please check Edmodo for what you have missed – all class notes, assignments will be posted there. You may also see Mrs. Stranges immediately upon your return, BEFORE or AFTER CLASS/SCHOOL to check for missing assignments. NOT DURING CLASS TIME.
- All work is expected to be turned in ON TIME on the date specified by teacher.
- In class work will NOT be accepted late. If it is not turned in during the class period, it is considered late, and will be subject to appropriate penalty, unless otherwise designated to be completed at home and returned to Mrs. Stranges.
- Late Work
- No extension will be given for an assignment that has a multi-day window
Student will attend the scheduled retake day to retest or complete the retake assignment – may be in the form of new test, essay, project – TEACHER creates retest method
Monday/Wednesday 8:15 am – 8:35 am
Degrees and Certifications: