Google Classroom Codes
3rd Period: 6xdiuae
5th Period: ylfivfg
AVID at a Glance
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) is designed to help students prepare for and succeed in high school and college. Students in the program commit themselves to improvement and preparation for college. AVID offers a rigorous program of instruction in academic “survival skills” and college level entry skills. The AVID program teaches students how to study, read for content, take notes, organize, and manage time. Students participate in collaborative study groups, or tutorials, led by tutors who use skillful questioning to bring students to a higher level of understanding. Upon acceptance into AVID, students must enroll in at least one PreAP course. AVID is a state elective class which meets during the regular school day. (Please see this link for additional information: Who is an AVID Student?)What AVID is . . .
- AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
- AVID is an in-school academic support program that prepares students for college eligibility and success.
- AVID places academically average students in advanced classes.
- AVID levels the playing field for minority, rural, low-income, and other students without a college-going tradition in their families.
- AVID is for ALL students, but targets those in the academic middle.
- AVID is implemented school-wide and district-wide.
What AVID is NOT . . .
- AVID is NOT a remedial program.
- AVID is NOT a free ride.
- AVID is NOT a niche program.
- AVID is NOT a college outreach program.