If you are interested in taking the Academic Decathlon Class please contact the individuals below and your counselor:Lisa StaupAcademic Decathalon CoachRoom C234281-245-4382Justin ZendtAcademic Decathlon Asst. CoachRoom C133Rebecca RootRoom C138Advanced Academic Specialist
What You'll Learn
You’ll always learn something different. Each year, the Academic Decathlon® selects a new theme for teams all over the country to explore. The theme shapes an entire course of studies—and brings it all together. The more years you participate in Academic Decathlon®, the more themes you’ll master. And, since our curriculum team develops these themes with special attention to national content standards, you’ll find you’re becoming not just a more knowledgeable Academic Decathlete, but a stronger all-around student.
The theme for the 2018-2019 Academic Decathlon® is the 1960s: A Transformational Decade.
The U.S. Academic Decathlon® is excited to announce that the overall curricular theme for 2018–2019 will be The 1960s: A Transformational Decade. Following is some general information on the topics in each of the subject areas.
- SCIENCE: The science topic will be an introduction to laser technology and its applications.
- LITERATURE: The literature curriculum will include critical reading, one long work of literature, and selected shorter works. The long work of literature will be the play Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard.
- ART: The art curriculum will include a section on art fundamentals and will largely focus on an introduction to the art of the 1960s.
- MUSIC: The music curriculum will provide an introduction to the music of the 1960s.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE: The social science curriculum will cover U.S. history in the 1960s.
- ECONOMICS: The economics curriculum will cover fundamental economic concepts, microeconomics, and macroeconomics and will also include a thematic section on the U.S. economy in the 1960s.
- MATHEMATICS: The mathematics curriculum will cover permutations and combinations, algebra, and statistics.*
Please see the full subject area outlines for more details. You can also order study materials through our program brochure. Our team prepares approachable resource guides and helpful practice tests and other tools that you can use with your team to do your best on competition day.