What is the ECM PTO?PTO stands for Parent Teacher Organization. The ECM PTO is a nonprofit group comprised of parents, teachers, and staff dedicated to improving the educational experience of all students at ECM Elementary School. Our goals are to encourage interaction between family and school, serve as a source of support, and work with teachers, staff, and the community at large to improve our children’s educational experience. The PTO works closely with the school administration to meet this goal.
What does the PTO do, exactly?If you look up “PTO” in the dictionary you might find words like: organize, support, help, and volunteer. The PTO organizes special events such as the spring fling, teacher appreciation, yearbooks sales, spirit shirt designs and sales just to name a few.
Who can join PTO?Any parent or guardian of a current student of ECM as well as all current faculty and staff
How do I become a member?All you have to do is complete our membership form and pay the yearly registration dues of $10.00 per family. It is never too late to join!
Do I have to pay for each child?No your dues cover all children in your immediate household.
What are the benefits of membership?First it gives you a voice! Your membership entitles you to vote at all meetings on PTO business. (There is one vote per household.) You may desire to volunteer to help with our many events throughout the year. Volunteering is encouraged but NOT required. In a way just paying your dues helps us fund programs that enhance your child’s learning experience.
What programs does PTO fund and support?
• Providing Field Trip Transportation Costs
• Designing and Selling the Yearbook
• Designing and Selling Spirit Shirts and Hoodies
• Raising Funds for Playground Equipment and Campus Improvements
• Operating the School Store
• Putting on Spring Fling
• Sponsoring Student Council
• Sponsoring Green Club
• Buddy Fun Day Inflatables
• Serving Hot Chocolate at the Jingle Bell Walk for Diabetes
• Teacher Appreciation Luncheons
• Book Fair Scholarships
• Box Tops for Education
• Kroger Share Card
• Purchase and Pick Up of Perfect Attendance Ice Cream
• Selling and Distributing Pre-packaged school supplies
• Cookie Dough Fundraiser and the Fundraiser Celebrations that follow
• Celebration for students who read 20 Bluebonnet Books
• Our new “WATCH Dog” Program
When and Where are the PTO Meetings?
We have 5 scheduled meetings a year.
This year they will be:September 28November 16January 25March 29May 10We will be hosting meetings via web! We are hoping it will enable more parents to get connected, involved and informed! More information coming soon!Why should I come to PTO Meetings?
• The number one reason is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help our school. The PTO is a great opportunity to become involved in your child’s education at ECM.
• Get connected! There is no better way to get involved in what is happening or is going to happen at ECM.
• Stay informed. By getting involved at ECM, you will be part of the team helping to make positive changes.
• Tap into a network. Come and share ideas, concerns, and experiences with other parents and educators in the community. PTO functions are an opportunity to meet other parents and teachers, build rapport and be informed.
• Be a role model. By becoming active in the PTO, you will be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education. Studies show children do better in school when parents are involved.
• Speak Up. PTO offers a forum for exchanging ideas as well as making suggestions. PTO can be a way for you to more effectively express change at ECM.
How can I make a difference at ECM?The PTO believes that parent involvement is an essential ingredient to a student’s success. We strongly encourage all parents and faculty to join the PTO. Joining the PTO is a great way for you to show support for your child and to ensure he/she receives the best education possible. You can attend the PTO meetings, volunteer your time for PTO events and support the fundraising events to help educate your children. Your input is important to us.
How can I help?
Please consider helping in any way that fits your schedule. There are many things that you can do to help. Perhaps what works best is to show your support through making a financial contribution. Maybe you can dedicate several hours to a special event or fundraiser. The amount of time you spend participating in PTO activities is up to your discretion. The important thing is that you become involved in your child’s educational experience. You may contact the PTO office or any of our Officers and let them know you are interested in volunteering and they will gladly help you find the perfect place. Even if the school year is underway, it is never to late to get involved! ECM needs you!
How can I help raise funds and support ECM?
There are several easy ways to help.
• Make a donation.
• Support our Fall Fundraiser and Spring Fling. These are our largest fundraisers of the year, so we need your support!
• Saving Box Tops• Participate in restaurant nights for each grade. This is a fun time to socialize with other ECM families as well as raise money for ECM.
How does the PTO acquire the necessary funds to sponsor so many projects?Fundraisers and donations. The Fall Fundraiser and Spring Fling are our biggest fundraisers. Your support of these events is vital to our success as a PTO!
What happens to the money raised by the PTO?
Each year a budget is created and voted on by our members. From this we decide where the funds will go. Each year the PTO strives to raise at least enough funds to meet some of the items on the wish list of the school administration. While fundraising is not our primary goal, it is an important aspect of the PTO. Money raised by the PTO sponsored events helps purchase supplemental materials for ECM students and staff. One hundred percent of the money raised through PTO goes directly back to benefit the ECM students. PTO’s role has become even more critical as we raise funds to supplement the cost of the schools’ needs. One of our main focuses has been supplementing the budget cuts incurred due to increased funds beings directed other places, The PTO gladly works to provide some of the extras that our students and teachers receive. In the past, some of these extras have included:
* Additional resources for the media center
* Playground equipment
* Social events
* Family Nights
* Scholarships for high school graduates
* Classroom parties
* Teacher appreciation week
* Open house night
* Recess equipment
* Buses for field trips
* Book fairs which provided more books for the library
How do I become an officer?
All positions are for a 2 year term. In order to be eligible for officer nominations, one must currently have a student enrolled at E C Mason Elementary who will still be a student at our campus during the entire two year term. Nominees must also have a completed Safe Schools form on file with the office and be able to attend the Board Meetings which are held at 3:30 approximately five times each school year.If you meet all these requirements simply complete the “Officer Nomination” Form that is available in the spring. Once all forms are submitted the Nominating Committee will select a slate of officers to be presented and voted on at the PTO meeting in April.Don’t see what you were looking for?Feel free to contact us at:Phone 281-245-2842Email email@example.comOr Check us out on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ecmpto