• Q: Am I eligible to transfer to another campus?

    A: To be eligible for a voluntary transfer, an employee must  have successfully completed a  growth plan or have not been recommended for non-renewal at any time during the current school year.  This restriction also applies to the opening of new schools unless the existing campus is part of a rezoning effort that results in reduction of staff. 


    Q: How do I request a transfer?

    A: You may request a transfer by completing an In-district transfer application in Frontline (Applitrack). This request form is located at: http://www.applitrack.com/alvinisd/onlineapp/default.aspx?internal=internal&district       

    NOTE: You are only applying to transfer to the campus, not a specific position. Therefore, you may not see specific postings for each campus at the time you complete the transfer application.


    Q: How do I login to Frontline (Application Portal)?

    A: Employees must login from the AISD website.  Click on the “Careers” tab, then click “Apply Online”.  Employees will login to their existing application.  Do not start a new application.  If you do not remember your login information, you must call the HR office for assistance.  Once an employee is logged in to their existing application, click the “EDIT” tab.  On question number 2, Current employment status, employees must select “YES” that they are an employee of Alvin ISD in order to view the internal transfer postings.  


    Q: How do I request a transfer for a position that would be a promotion for me?

    A: Employees who would like to seek a position that would be considered a promotion, should complete the online internal application for the specific posted position. You would not complete a transfer application for a position that would result in a promotion. (I.e. Teacher to Assistant Principal, Librarian, Counselor, Instructional Para to Clerical Para)


    Q: My contract has been recommended for  non-renewal or no extension, am I eligible for a transfer? 

    A: No. Employees who have not successfully completed a growth plan or who have been recommended for non-renewal/no contract extension in the current school year are not eligible to transfer.. 


    Q: I currently do not hold the certificate or license for the position I wish to transfer to, am I eligible to transfer? 

    A: No.  Required  credentials, including certification must be in place before applying and interviewing for a position.


    Q: Do I have to tell my current principal that I am applying for a district transfer or get their permission to apply for a transfer?

    A: No, however, it is a good idea to let your principal know once you have an interview. You do not have to share that information with your principal. Nor do you have to obtain your principal’s permission to apply for a transfer before June 15, 2022. However, your Principal will be contacted before you are extended an offer to transfer. 


    Q: May I send my resume and or letter of interest to principals?

    A: Yes. You may email the principals with your resume and letter of interest.


    Q: Do I need to have an in-district transfer application submitted to interview for a job transfer?

    A: Yes, you must have a transfer application on file in Frontline (Applitrack).


    Q: How will I know if I have been selected to transfer?

    A: Campus principals will contact applicants they are interested in interviewing as positions become available on their campus and will communicate directly with each teacher regarding whether or not they will be granted a transfer.  The HR department will also notify each employee via email once the transfer has been approved by HR. 


    Q: I still want to transfer, but it is after the June 15th  deadline. Can a transfer still happen for me?

    A: After the initial transfer window has closed, contract-based employees are eligible for a lateral transfer by principal mutual consent  and HR between June 20, 2022 and July 1, 2022. Paraprofessionals are eligible for lateral transfers through August 1, 2022.