Circulation of Materials Policy
E.C. Mason Elementary aims for students and staff to become effective users of ideas and information. To ensure this happens, the library creates a non-restrictive environment where students and staff can access the information they seek. Information and materials will represent all points of view and will “be provided for the interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community the library serves.” (AASL, 2018)
The library will maintain open circulation hours throughout the day, to encourage use. Classes will have a circulation period each week but may frequent the library whenever needed.
- Students will be taught how to use and be responsible for materials.
- Students will be allowed both free choice and materials that align with their reading level.
- Students check out materials for a two week time span and will not be charged overdue book fees, but will need to renew books each week. Overdue notices will be sent home periodically, while keeping the materials confidential. Lost and damaged books must be paid for. If a book is later found, reimbursement will occur up to one following school year.
- PreK – 1st grade will be allowed one book per checkout. 2nd-5th graders will be allowed two items per checkout.
- Faculty is not limited to the amount of materials and may keep materials for as long as they are needed and are in use.
- Interlibrary loan, within Alvin ISD, is permitted for both students and staff.
- Students are not permitted to check out audio visual equipment but staff may, for use in the classroom.