Alvin ISD Virtual Academy
Virtual Instruction for K-6
A limited number of spots will be available.
Alvin ISD is now accepting applications for students in grades Kindergarten through sixth grade, 11 years or younger, and would like to enroll in Alvin ISD’s Virtual Academy. This option is in response to COVID-19 since children under 12 years old are not eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine. A limited number of spots will be available.
Students will be placed into classes as teachers are hired and trained as required by Senate Bill 15. If applications exceed teacher capacity, students that meet the application deadline will be chosen by a lottery system. Submitting an application does not guarantee enrollment. Families will be notified of enrollment into the Alvin Virtual Academy by September 15, 2021.
Students enrolled in the Alvin ISD Virtual Academy will engage in at-home instruction, in both synchronous and asynchronous formats. Students will be assigned to a virtual classroom staffed with a dedicated teacher and will receive both live instruction as well as independent work. Participation in the program requires the active support of parents and guardians to ensure their student is engaged and successful in the virtual learning environment.
Students must meet the following criteria to be eligible to apply:
- Met passing standards on the STAAR and/or district assessments in 2020-2021
- Had a "70" average or equivalent in Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies in the 2020-2021 school year
- Had less than 10 unexcused absences in the 2020-2021 school year
- Must currently be aged 11 or younger
- In grades K-6 and living within the Alvin ISD attendance boundaries
- Meet the application deadline
- Must have an appropriate computer (laptop or desktop) with a functional camera and microphone
- Must have reliable internet access
More on the Alvin ISD Virtual Academy:
- Participation is only guaranteed for the 2021 fall semester and will be reevaluated at that time.
- Students cannot transition to in-person learning until the end of the 2021 fall semester.
- Students who are accepted into the program will be withdrawn from their home campus and will be placed in the Alvin Virtual Academy with an Alvin ISD teacher.
- Students are not guaranteed to be placed back in their original teachers’ class upon returning to in-person learning the 2nd semester.
- Special programs will not be offered due to their specialized instruction (WINGS/STEM/MAP/Dual Language/Bilingual/Special Education).
- Gifted and Talented services will be offered.
- English as a Second Language classrooms will be offered.
- Students in grade 6 will be removed from their current elective and be placed in an Art class to fulfill their elective requirement.
- Students will be required to follow the Alvin ISD Academic Calendar and will attend classes during regular school hours.
- Alvin ISD Virtual Academy is not a rolling enrollment program. All applications must be received by September 8, 2021 at 12:00 noon.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee enrollment. Families will be notified of enrollment into the Alvin Virtual Academy by September 15, 2021.
- The start date for Alvin Virtual Academy is September 20, 2021.
Partnering with Parents:
Parents and/or family members play an active role in the Alvin ISD Virtual Academy.
- Play an active part in supporting and facilitating their virtual learning
- Identify a quiet space for students to learn, free of disruption
- Ensure independent (asynchronous) learning is occurring as scheduled
- Identify and resolve any technology or internet challenges that may arise
- Monitor the daily schedule, required online time, and assignment deadlines
- Communicate with your child’s teacher regularly
- Bring student in for in-person assessments or individual services as requested
- Ensure students do their own work
The Texas Education Agency continues to give us guidance on eligibility criteria and program requirements per Senate Bill 15. This guidance may change some of the information communicated on this page.
Families currently enrolled in an Alvin ISD school can apply via Skyward Family Access. Once logged in, click on the ‘Online Forms’ tab on the left navigation bar. Click ‘Fill Out Form’ for each student in grades K-6 for whom you are applying. Families applying for multiple students will need to complete the form separately for each student. Note: The form is only available to the parent who originally enrolled the student.
New & Returning Families:
Families who live in the Alvin ISD attendance zone, but who are not currently enrolled at a campus must call (281) 245-2209 for more information regarding the enrollment process. Families will need to provide a full enrollment packet with all required documents before the deadline to be eligible to apply. Please note: It could take up to 48 hours to complete the enrollment process.
For questions about Alvin Virtual Academy, please submit a Let's Chat.