ALVIN ISD TRUSTEE ELECTION 2020
The Alvin Independent School District will conduct an election for the Board of Trustees (Positions 6 and 7) on Saturday May 2, 2020 to be held at 302 E. House Street in Alvin, Texas with various polling places being posted at a later date.
The first day to file for a place on the ballot is Wednesday, January 15, 2020. The last day to file for a place on the ballot is Friday, February 14, 2020.
Requirements for filing for candidacy are as follows:
Form, Content, and Procedure: An application for a place on the ballot must be in writing; signed, sworn to by the candidate before a person authorized to administer an oath and dated; timely filed with the district’s filing authority (Mary Anne McWhirter – Alvin ISD Superintendent’s secretary) and contain specified information about the candidate:
- Candidate’s Name, Date of Birth and Occupation
- Candidate’s residence address and or the address at which the candidate receives mail with a description of the location of the candidate’s residence
- The candidate’s length of continuous residence in Texas and in the district as of the date the candidate swears to the application
- Public mailing address and e-mail address at which the candidate receives correspondence relating to the candidate’s campaign
- The office sought, including any place or other distinguishing number and an indication of whether the office sought is for a full or unexpired term
- Statements that the candidate is a US citizen and has not been determined by a court to be mentally incapacitated; has not been convicted of a felony; is aware of the nepotism law; and swears an oath to support and defend the US and Texas Constitutions and laws
The Texas Education Code imposes additional requirements:
- To be elected to a school board, an individual must be a qualified voter; 18 years of age or older, a US citizen, a Texas resident, a registered voter, not determined to be totally or partially mentally incapacitated by an appropriate court, and not finally convicted of a felony.
- A person is ineligible to serve on a school board if the person has been convicted of a felony or an offense under Texas Penal Code section 43.02(b) regarding prostitution.