• Student Records

    Federal and state laws safeguard student records from unauthorized inspection or
    use and provide parents and "eligible" students certain rights:

    What is an "eligible" student?
    A student who is 18 or older OR who is attending an institution of postsecondary

    What information will the District routinely release?
    General information about Alvin ISD students is considered "directory information"
    and will be released to anyone who follows procedures for requesting it. That
    information includes:

    • A student's name, address, telephone number, and date and place of birth.
    • The student's photograph, participation in officially recognized activities
      and sports, and weight and height of members of athletic teams.
    • The student's dates of attendance, grade level, enrollment status, honors
      and awards received in school, and most recent school attended previously.
    • The student's e-mail address.

    What about military recruiters and colleges?
    In addition to release of student information required under FERPA, to be in
    compliance with the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, the District will release to
    military recruiters and institutions of higher education, upon request, the name,
    address, and phone number of secondary students enrolled in the District.

    Can I restrict this information?
    Yes. A parent or eligible student may prevent the release of any or all directory
    information regarding a student. This objection must be made in writing to the
    principal within ten school days after the parent or student has been provided this

    What about information about grades, test results, disciplinary records, etc?
    Virtually all information pertaining to student performance is considered a
    confidential educational record and may be released to:

    • The parents-whether married, separated, or divorced-who will generally have
      access to the records. A parent whose rights have been legally terminated
      will be denied access to the records if the school is given a copy of the
      court order terminating these rights. Federal law requires that, as soon
      as the student becomes eligible, control of the records goes to the
      student. However, the parents may access the records if the student is a
      dependent for tax purposes.
    • District staff members who have what federal law defines as a "legitimate
      educational interest" in a student's records. Such persons would include
      school officials (such as Board members, the Superintendent, principals),
      school staff members (such as teachers, counselors, diagnosticians), or an
      agent of the District (such as a medical consultant).
    • Various governmental agencies or in response to a subpoena or court order.
    • A school to which a student transfers or in which he or she subsequently
    • Release to any other person or agency-such as a prospective employer or for a
      scholarship application-will occur only with parental or student permission as

    Where do I go to review the records?
    The principal is custodian of all records for currently enrolled students at the
    assigned school and for students who have withdrawn or graduated.
    Records may be reviewed during regular school hours. If circumstances effectively
    prevent a parent or eligible student from inspecting the records, the District
    shall either provide a copy of the requested records, or make other arrangements
    for the parent or student to review the requested records. The records custodian
    or designee will respond to reasonable requests for explanation and interpretation
    of the records.

    The addresses of the principals' offices are:
    The parent's or eligible student's right of access to, and copies of, student
    records does not extend to all records. Materials that are not considered
    educational records-such as teachers' personal notes on a student that are shared
    only with a substitute teacher and records on former students after they are no
    longer students in the District-do not have to be made available to the parents or

    What can I do if I think a record is inaccurate?
    A parent (or the student if he or she is 18 or older or is attending an institution
    of postsecondary education) may review and inspect the student's records and
    request a correction if the records are considered inaccurate or otherwise in
    violation of the student's privacy rights. If the District refuses the request to
    amend the records, the requestor has the right to request a hearing. If the
    records are not amended as a result of the hearing, the requestor has 30 school
    days to exercise the right to place a statement commenting on the information in
    the student's record. Although improperly recorded grades may be challenged,
    contesting a student's grade in a course is handled through the general complaint
    process defined by policy FNG.

    What is the cost of copying records?
    Copies of student records are available at a cost of ten cents per page, payable in
    advance. If the student qualifies for free or reduced-price lunches and the
    parents are unable to view the records during regular school hours, upon written
    request of the parent, one copy of the record will be provided at no charge.

    Please note:
    Parents or eligible students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S.
    Department of Education if they believe the District is not in compliance with the
    law regarding student records. The District's complete policy regarding student
    records is available from the principal's or Superintendent's office.