District of Innovation
District of Innovation Planning Timeline
Districts of Innovation
What is a District of Innovation?
House Bill 1842 was passed by the 84th Texas Legislature in the spring of 2015. This bill allows public school districts to be designated as Districts of Innovation and obtain exemptions from certain provisions of the Texas Education Code. This designation will provide for more local control at the district level, providing the opportunity for Alvin Independent School District to better serve our community and to focus on the unique needs of each student.
What’s the process for becoming a District of Innovation?
In Alvin ISD, the District of Innovation process will align with the District Vision, Core Beliefs and District Goals.
The timeline was as follows:
- The Board of Trustees passed a resolution to study the concept and opportunities provided under the District of Innovation legislation (12.13.16)
- The Board of Trustees held a public hearing and appointed the District Education Improvement Committee (DEIC) to develop a Local Innovation Plan (1.17.17)
- A Local Innovation Plan was developed by the DEIC (2.13.17)
- The Local Innovation Plan was posted on the district website for a 30 day review (2.17.17-3.19.17)
- The Board of Trustees notified commissioner of intention to vote on plan (3.1.17)
- The DEIC held a public hearing to discuss the Local Innovation Plan and then took a vote on whether to approve the plan (3.20.17)
- The Board of Trustees voted to adopt the plan (3.21.17)
- The Board of Trustees notified commissioner of the Local Innovation Plan approval (4.13.17)
- The DEIC voted unanimously to amend the Teacher Certification section of the original plan (6.11.20)
- The Board of Trustees voted to adopt the plan with revisions (6.30.20)
Where should questions/comments about the District of Innovation opportunity be directed?
Please direct all questions/comments regarding the District of Innovation opportunity to Let’s Chat
How will stakeholders be able to follow the District of Innovation process?
The district will maintain this District of Innovation webpage.