I will continue to send the Week at a Glance and Monthly Math Updates; but this is a sneak peek at what we will be doing this 1st nine weeks with all the TEKS listed for you:) Plus our math test dates:)
5th grade pre-ap scope and sequence (6th grade)- 1st Nine weeks
Number Sense( 10 days)
· Classify rational numbers
6.2A classify whole numbers, integers, and rational numbers using a visual representation such as a Venn diagram to
describe relationships between sets of numbers
6.2E extend representations for division to include fraction notation such as a/b represents the same number as a ÷ b where
b ≠ 0.
· Estimate to Determine Solutions
5.2C round decimals to tenths or hundredths. (60%)
5.3A estimate to determine solutions to mathematical and real-world problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication,
or division (52%)
· Whole Number Multiplication and Division
5.3B multiply with fluency a three-digit number by a two-digit number using the standard algorithm; (78%)
5.3C solve with proficiency for quotients of up to a four-digit dividend by a two-digit divisor using strategies and the standard
Integer Operations(15 days)
· Integer operations
6.2B identify a number, its opposite, and its absolute value;
6.3C represent integer operations with concrete models and connect the actions with the models to standardized algorithms;
6.3D add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers fluently
· Properties (embed identity, commutative, & associative within Integers)
6.7D generate equivalent expressions using the properties of operations: inverse, identity, commutative,
associative and distributive properties.
Rational Number Conversions(15 days)
· Convert between Fraction, Decimal, Percent
6.2E extend representations for division to include fraction notation such as a/b represents the same number as a ÷ b
where b ≠ 0.
6.4E represent ratios and percents with concrete models, fractions, and decimals
6.4F represent benchmark fractions and percents such as 1%, 10%, 25%, 33 1/3%, and multiples of these values using
10 by 10 grids, strip diagrams, number lines, and numbers
6.4G generate equivalent forms of fractions, decimals, and percents using real-world problems, including problems
that involve money
6.5C use equivalent fractions, decimals, and percents to show equal parts of the same whole.
· Compare and Order Rational Numbers
5.2B compare and order two decimals to thousandths and represent comparisons using the symbols >, <, or
6.2C locate, compare, and order integers and rational numbers using a number line
6.2D order a set of rational numbers arising from mathematical and real-world contexts
· Coordinate Plane
5.8A describe the key attributes of the coordinate plane… (n/a)
5.8B describe the process for graphing ordered pairs of numbers in the first quadrant of the coordinate plane (30%)
6.11A graph points in all four quadrants using ordered pairs of rational numbers
5TH GRADE SCOPE & SEQUENCE 1ST NINE WEEKS
Number Sense – 6 weeks
- 5.2A Represent the value of the digit in decimals through the thousandths using expanded notation and numerals.
- 5.2B Compare and order two decimals to thousandths and represent comparisons using the symbols >, <, or =
- 5.2C Round decimals to tenths or hundredths
- 5.3A Estimate to determine solutions to mathematical and real-world problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division.
- 5.3B Multiply with fluency a three-digit number by a two-digit number using the standard algorithm
- 5.3C Solve with proficiency for quotients of up to a four-digit dividend by a two-digit divisor using strategies and the standard algorithm.
- 5.4E describe the meaning of parentheses and brackets in a numeric expression
- 5.4F Simplify numerical expressions that do not involve exponents, including up to two levels of grouping
Positive Rational Number – Addition and Subtraction - 4.5 weeks (9 days in the first grading period)
- 5.4A Identify prime and composite
- 5.3H Represent and solve addition and subtraction of fractions with unequal denominators referring to the same whole using objects and pictorial models and properties of operations.
- 5.3K Add and subtract positive rational numbers fluently
Math District Test Dates for 2019-2020
10/16 - CBA (5th & PreAP)
12/12 - CBA/Midterm
2/11 - 5th SIM
4/7 - 5th STAAR
4/15 - PreAP SIM
5/12 - 5th STAAR Retest & PreAP STAAR