Special Programs  
    Getting Help For Your Child
    The Alvin ISD Special Education Department has a continuum of services for children ages 3-21 who demonstrate significant delays in communication, cognitive, academic, self-help, social development, behavior, and/or motor skills.  A Full and Individual Evaluation (FIE) can be conducted to determine the presence of a disability and whether your child meets local, state, and federal guidelines for special education services.  In order to access these services, a child must demonstrate both a disability and an educational need for specialized instruction.  The evaluation is provided at no cost to parents who reside within Alvin ISD boundaries.
    The following are common Questions/Answers on how to go about getting help for your child:
    How long does the referral process take?
    The school district must complete the evaluation within 45 school days of the date the district receives written consent from the parent for the evaluation.  The district is then obligated to hold an Admission, Review, Dismissal (ARD) meeting within 30 calendar days from the date of the evaluation report.  If the report is completed over the summer break, the ARD committee must meet by September 15th of the next year to review the report.  The ARD committee will determine eligibility for special education services and develop an individualized education program for the child if the child is eligible for services.
    Who do I contact if my 3, 4, or 5 year old is showing delays?
    Please contact the Speech Pathologist at your child's local elementary school to schedule a screening.  If you need assistance with locating the school, please contact Tamara Stone, Lead Speech Pathologist at 281-245-2655 or via email at tstone@alvinisd.net
    How do I get help for my child who is already attending school but I suspect a disability?
    Please contact your child's teacher or counselor to discuss your concerns.  The campus Problem Solving Team (PST) will be scheduled to discuss your concerns and determine if evaluations or consultations are necessary.  At any time, a parent is entitled to request an evaluation for special education services.  However, if the district determines that an evaluation is not needed, the district will provide the parent with a written notice that explains why the child will not be evaluated.  This written notice will include a statement that informs the parent of their rights, should they disagree with the district's decision not to evaluate.
    How do I get help for my child who attends Private School or is Home Schooled?
    If your child is kindergarten eligible (age 5 before Sept. 1) or older and attends a Non-Profit Private School or home school located within the boundaries of Alvin ISD, you have the right to request an evaluation.  please contact Sarah Chauvin, Director of Special Education, at (281) 245-2645 or schauvin@alvinisd.net.to request an evaluation and/or discuss available services.
    If the Non-Profit Private School is located outside of Alvin ISD boundaries, then it is the responsibility of the school district in which the private school is located to conduct the evaluation.  Parents would need to contact that school district to request an evaluation and inquire about what services are offered.
    What services are available if my child is not 3 years old yet?
    Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) services are available for children ages birth to 3 who demonstrate developmental delays.  For further information, please contact Brazoria County's BACH ECI at (979) 849-2447.
    Who do I contact if I have additional questions?
    Please contact our Special Education Department at (281) 245-2451 and ask to speak to any of the Special Education Coordinators.  Additional information is also available at Resources on Special Education in Texas.
    Additional Resources: