Digital Art and Animation3rd PeriodRoom D-107Instructor: Ms. HirschSyllabusTEKS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac/chapter126/ch126c.html#126.42
In this course, students will learn:
- Basic drawing skills based around the Dynamic Sketching/Construction method of drawing
- Character design
- Basic watercolor painting
- 2D animation techniques using Adobe Animate
- Exporting movies from Adobe Animate
- Basic Photoshop
- Intro to Digital Painting
PLEASE NOTE: This course has ART FOUNDATIONS as a prerequisite course. In order to take level two classes like Photography, Drawing, Painting, Sculpture, and Digital Art and Animation, the student must complete ART FOUNDATIONS.
Class fee: $40 per year ($20 per semester)
This fee goes towards purchasing supplies which will be used in this class. These supplies include, but are not limited to: paper, pens, paints, markers, specialty paper, software, technology, equipmentll fees are listed in the Alvin ISD High School Course Guide:
1st 9 Weeks: Drawing
- Basics (9 weeks)
- 3D Forms (1 week)
2nd 9 Weeks: Drawing/Character Design/Painting
- Plants (1 week)
- Arachnids/Insects (1 week)
- Animals (1 week)
- Character Design (1 week)
- Landscapes (1 week)
- Basic Watercolor Painting (4 weeks)
3rd 9 Weeks: Intro to Adobe Animate
- Intro to Basic Animation (8 weeks)
4th 9 Weeks: Intro to Photoshop
- Intro to Photoshop (1 week)
- Intro to Digital Painting (1 week)
- Advanced Animation/Parallax (2 weeks)
- Capstone Project (4 weeks)
- Demo Reel (1 week)
Students will receive Daily/Participation grades and Project/Test grades. Daily/Participation grades cannot be made up for credit. Project/Test grades can be made up for partial credit according to the following guidelines:
- Incomplete grades will earn a grade of ZERO until all points on the PROJECT/TEST RUBRIC have been satisfied.
- Late work up to 1 week late: maximum grade is 80 (This is not a guaranteed grade. This is only the maximum possible grade at this point.
Late work up to 2 weeks late: maximum grade is 70 (This is not a guaranteed grade. This is only the maximum possible grade at this point.)
Late work up to the end of the next 3rd week check OR the end of the semester, whichever comes first: maximum grade is 50. (This is not a guaranteed grade. This is only the maximum possible grade at this point.)
All assignments will be graded according to how much effort went into the assignment. EFFORT and COMPLETION are not synonymous. I am not awarding completion grades for incomplete/low effort work. All grades will be given according to the EFFORT rubric for either daily grade or project grade:
DAILY/PARTICIPATION EFFORT RUBRIC
PROJECT/TEST EFFORT RUBRIC
This grade cannot be made up because it is related to participation in class:
If any of these steps are not done, it is an automatic zero (0) until the requirements have been satisfied:
- Proper handling of materials/technology
- Putting up artwork in the designated spot/Saving work to school drive and Google drive/flash drive
- Cleaning up work area before the end of class
- Computers will not be used for video games, watching videos, or shopping
- Cell phone put away for entire class unless teacher has given permission to use phone for assignment
- Attempting and Completing every step of the assignment
- Initial design/research for assignment (thumbnails/sketchbook/looking up artists/new techniques, etc)
- Attention to detail
- Time spent on assignment/Time Management
Extra time may be given for the completion of assignments AT THE TEACHER’S DISCRETION.
No extra credit work will be given. Work cannot be completed at home. Students must complete assignments in the classroom for credit.
All work will be graded through Google Classroom.
Cell phones are not allowed in class unless the teacher has given permission to use phones for an assignment. Computers in the lab must be used appropriately and not for video games, watching videos, or shopping. Any suspicion of using VPNs (virtual private networks) in order to play video games, watch videos, or shop on the computers will result in a disciplinary write up.* All graphic assignments should be turned in through Google Classroom as JPG files unless otherwise stated.* All animation assignments should be turned in through YouTube unless otherwise specified.* Files to be printed will be emailed to me in PDF form and must have a minimum resolution of 300 ppi.* Turning in someone else's work as your own is considered cheating. If this occurs, a grade of ZERO will be placed in the grade book for both the student who turned in the work and the student who provided the work and will not change until the student turns in his/her own work. Points will still be taken off for late work.We will be working primarily in Adobe Creative Suite. This software is not free and students need to be in class to complete assignments.It is never expected that students purchase this software or bring their own computers to class. Students have computers in class and they have enough classtime to complete assignments.