When should I keep my student home?
Students with the following symptoms shall be excluded from school until free of symptoms or a document is received from the physician stating that the student is released to return to school. This list of signs and symptoms is not exhaustive.
- Temperature of 100 degrees or above (must be fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications, like Tylenol or Ibuprofen)
- Diarrhea, nausea and/or vomiting
- Pain and/or swelling at angle of the jaw (pain in or behind the ear that is aggravated by chewing, swallowing, or opening the mouth)
- Red-eye with purulent discharge or crusting
- Scaly patches on the scalp (possible ringworm)
- Intense itching with evidence of open lesions or signs and symptoms of secondary infection
- Signs of jaundice
- Acute febrile illness, prodromal systemic symptoms with rash
- Open, draining lesions
The parent or authorized individual is expected to pick his or her child up within one hour of being notified of any of the above conditions.