Alvin Independent School District


Child Nutrition Picture
Mailing Address:                                   Physical Address:      
301 EAST HOUSE STREET                Building F
ALVIN, TEXAS 77511                          2200 STAPP MAXWELL
                                                   ALVIN, TEXAS 77511
Phone: 281-245-2277
Fax: 281-331-8052   
 Frequently Asked Questions
About the
Alvin ISD
Child Nutrition

How do the student's pay for meals?

Our district has computerized its food service registers. When a student enrolls, he or she is given
a PIN number that will follow he or she through all of the grades at all Alvin ISD campuses. Entering
the PIN number at the cash register brings up your child's account. Every student in the school district,
regardless of his or her ability to pay, is issued a PIN number. The student PIN number must remain
confidential information and must not be shared. PIN numbers can be changed at any time by requesting
the school cafeteria manager change the number. Meals can be paid for using cash or checks at the
cafeteria registers or by credit card securely online at:
What do meals Cost?

Can an adult set up a cafeteria account?
While student accounts are automatically created at the time of enrollment, adult accounts need to be
set up by visiting or emailing your school cafeteria manager. Find your school
cafeteria manager here
Meet Our Staff
accounts can be used at any school and be managed online with
How can I manage my student and or adult meal account?
What happens when my child's account runs out of money?
Parents are strongly encouraged to use Parent Online at
to manage their student's or adult cafeteria account. When using Parent Online you can register to receive
low balance email reminders and you can also monitor your
child or adult account. Using Parent Online in
this way is at NO COST to you! Should
 you wish to deposit deposit money in your child's account using
Parent Online, a fee of $1.75 will be charged by Parent Online. Payment is often received within 
15 minutes,
although the site cannot guarantee immediate payment due to the nature of internet connections ect. You
can always send a check or cash with your child and we will gladly accept your payment in the cafeteria.
Our district allows one breakfast and one lunch to be charged.
However, each principal may have their own individual proceedure for students who exceed the one
breakfast and one lunch charging limit. Please contact your cafeteria manager or principal's office for further guidance.
If my student leaves Alvin Schools, how do I get my account
balance refunded or transferred?
Refund/Transfer Forms are available here:and at the school cafeteria offices.Once the completed forms
are received by the Child Nutrition Department, the Business Office cuts and mails checks very Friday.
Depending on when the refund form was submitted, you should receive your check in about two weeks.

Cafeteria Account Refund/Transfer Form
How do I apply for Free or Reduced-Price Meals?
To qualify for the Free & Reduced-price meal benefits, a student's parent or guardian must fill out an
online application for each school year. 
Apply 24/7 online here:
A new application must be filled out at the beginning of each new school year. All household members,
including all students should be included in one form. Only one form per household is required.
If the household income falls within the income guidelines as set by USDA eachyear, then you will be
notified within 10 days of receipt of the application of
the approval status. Paper applications will
continue to be accepted; however
applicants are encouraged to submit applications online for faster
. Paper forms are available at the Child Nutrition Department located at 2200 Stapp-Maxwell,
Building F in Alvin, Texas.The cafeteria computer
accounts are updated nightly as students are
approved for free or reduced-price
meal benefits.

Meal eligibilities are kept strictly confidential.
The codes are confidential and only the student and cashier know the student's status.
Applications may be submitted any time during the school year.
If you have questions, please call 281-245-2277.

How do I know what is being served daily?

School menus are planned and prepared in cycles. All menus are available here on our web site. Substitutions
may occur on the menu due to product availability, student
preferences and government commodity inventories.
We try very hard to supply
what is on the menu to every elementary child in the district.

What is "Offer Vs. Serve" and "Components"?

To qualify, we must serve certain food components (and food items) in certain amounts. 
For instance, At breakfast we must offer students 4 items from 3 components (Milk, Grain, Fruit

1.  Milk- 8 oz, 1 component and 1 item  
2.  Grains- 2 servings (2 items) or a Grain + a Meat (as a grain) option (2 items)
3.  Total of 1 cup of fruit or fruit juice(4 oz.)
They only have to take 3 of the 4 or they can take all 4. One item must be a fruit or fruit juice.  
The price is the same

For lunch, we must offer 5 components:

1. Meat or meat alternate like cheese or eggs -1 to 2 OZ. serving  (1 component)
2. Fruit - 1/2  to 1 cup (1 component)
3. Vegetable  - 3/4 to 1 cup (1 component)
4. Bread or bread alternate 1 serving  (like rice or pasta) (1 component) 
5. Milk 8 OZ serving (1 component)
They only have to take (be served) 3 of the 5 components or they can take all 5 at the same price.
At least 1 of the 3 components MUST be a serving of fruit or vegetable starting with the 2012-2013 school year.
This is called Offer Vs. Serve meal service. It allows the students choices and also helps us keep prices
lower for our
students, while insuring they receive a well-balanced nutritious meal. Sometimes we ask a
student who has not taken the minimum number of items on the
tray to select another item to make the
meal reimbursable. This helps us keep
our reimbursement and allows the student to pay a lower price for
an entire
meal, instead of paying for each item separately (a la carte) when the require number of items are
not taken.


Privacy Act Statement: This explains how we will use the information you give us. The Richard B. Russell National
School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not,
we cannot approve your child for free or reduced price meals. You must include the last four digits of the social security
number of the adult household member who signs the application. The last four digits of the social security number is not
required when you apply on behalf of a foster child or you list a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP),
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
(FDPIR) case number or other FDPIR identifier for your child or when you indicate that the adult household member
signing the application does not have a social security number. We will use your information to determine if your child is
eligible for free or reduced price meals, and for administration and enforcement of the lunch and breakfast programs. We
MAY share your eligibility information with education, health, and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund, or
determine benefits for their programs, auditors for program reviews, and law enforcement officials to help them look into
violations of program rules.
USDA Nondiscrimination Statement: The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at Individuals who are deaf, hard
of hearing, or have speech disabilities and wish to file either an EEO or program complaint please contact USDA through the
Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish). Persons with disabilities who wish to file a program
complaint, please see information above on how to contact us by mail directly or by email. If you require alternative means of
communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) please contact USDA's TARGET Center at
(202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex,
gender identity, religion, reprisal and, where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status,
sexual orientation, or if all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected
genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited
bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.) If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of
discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form.
You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or
letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W.,